Monday, May 14, 2007

Seeing it Again, for the First Time


I watched Jacques Tati’s Playtime for the first time last week. I wasn’t as blown away as I had planned on being, given the stellar reviews I’d heard from friends and critics. At the outset, I understood that Playtime wasn’t your average movie, that I would have to maintain some sort of critical distance, appreciating framing and visual gags, not worrying about getting immersed in a fictional world. Even though I knew these things, I couldn’t help viewing it the way I view every movie – identifying characters, and trying to figure out what’s coming next for them. Even if I know that’s not how I should be viewing a film, its extremely hard to discipline myself to not think this way, especially on the first viewing.

So then I listened to a critic’s commentary track on the DVD, and of course, one of the first things he says (directly quoting Jonathan Rosenbaum, I think) is: you have to watch this film multiple times to appreciate it. So there was confirmation that I wasn’t a complete square for not having adored the film right off the bat. At the same time, I somewhat resented having to spend another 2 hours watching the film again to “get” it. And what if I watched it twice and still didn’t like it? Should I keep watching it until I like it, until I “get” it?

What’s the most intriguing to me about the whole experience is that even though I knew what to look for the first time out, I couldn’t help but be distracted by something. Perhaps it was not so much the fate of the characters (as is the case with most narratives), but with the suspense over what the author/artist will do next? What will the whole film look like? What is the overall shape of the film? How will it all tie together? All the while, I think I was trying to mentally construct what “type” of art film Playtime is, what sort of game Tati was playing, whether or not the pace of the film would pick up or slow down. And I think it’s the inconsistent pacing of a lot of so-called art films that throws me, that keeps me from sitting back and appreciating the film on its own terms during the first viewing. Playtime seemed internally inconsistent, flirting with becoming a traditionally-paced narrative, but never quite making it.

In contrast, Gus Van Sant’s trilogy of languidly paced films (Gerry, Elephant, and Last Days) are perfectly internally consistent. Most viewers (myself included) had almost certainly known what they were getting themselves into when they watched the films, either by reading reviews or, in the cases of the latter two, knowing that the director had made extremely slow-paced barely-narratives. With Elephant and Last Days being based on historical events, you know what’s going to happen in the end, so there’s no surprise there, even on the first viewing. And, more importantly, there are no stylistic surprises during the course of the films. They unfold at a perfectly even pace, not really trying to hook viewers in any more than they are already to the paper-thin plot. I have no problem sitting back and appreciating those films as art films on the first viewing. My mind can settle into one reading strategy. Its as if I’m adopting the “multiple viewing” strategy on the first viewing. I simply couldn’t do that with Playtime, or another film I watched last week (for the first time): Julien Donkey-Boy.

No comments: