Wednesday, December 01, 2004

More on blogging

(Maybe this will be a meta-blog, where I just ramble on and on about blogs)

Remember 'logs?

You should keep a blog so you can go back days or months or years from now and look back and see what you were thinking, doing, or what your writing voice was like.

I've been keeping this quaint off-line journal for quite some time. Every now and then, I go back and read old entries, and I think its really changed my self-image. Obviously, there's a lot of "boy, was I stupid back then", but there's also a lot of "history repeats itself more than I noticed". I'm more aware of the patterns in my life. Phases, too - sentimental, ironic, literary, bitter, analytic, jokey. Like old photos, it becomes increasingly difficult to believe you inhabited these words.

And if you're detailed enough in your chronicling, it can really feel like time traveling, inhabiting the old you.

Favorite insult of the day:

1 comment:

tko said...

"Quaint off-line journal," that is fucking hilarious. Because on-line journals should clearly be taken more seriously. Old journals ARE proof that history repeats itself, and then I displace the experience, so in turn I repeat myself. That is a stupid cycle. Why can't I remember to learn from it?
You can't get rid of the hard copies though, some good shit goes into them, and by "good shit" I mean the worst of the worst. I never feel like scribbling in my journal when things are peachy. Hard copy journals are for the dark stuff.

Favorite word to use as curse: Balls, as in, "Aw, balls! I burnt the rhubarb."